Monday, August 20, 2012

Seminal First Blog Entry

As I sit before my trusty laptop trying to determine what to say to open my blog, I realize that this must be how all bloggers feel when they first begin.  It feels like such a momentous occasion this first blog entry, that somehow I feel I need to make it Important (yes, with a capital "i").

In reality, this first entry is simply an introduction.  I have no readers and no readers know me yet (oh how I do hope that changes!).

So, let me introduce myself dear reader.  My name is Cathy, I'm 53 years young, passionate about art, writing, reading, nature and God.  I love the gentle and beautiful things in life.  They both feed and excite yet also soothe my soul all at the same time.

On the flip-side, I have a bit of a science geek about me as well.  I'm passionate about medicine.  I am a nationally certified medical assistant, hold a certificate in phlebotomy, am a board certified holistic health practitioner, and am currently enrolled in nursing school (an accelerated program - I must be out of my mind!) which begins in just a few weeks now. I am especially passionate about the combination of allopathic medicine with holistic remedies and preventative measures that have solid scientific studies to back them up.

I'm thrilled to fulfill a life long ambition to become a nurse, even though some may think I'm a bit long in the tooth to begin such a pursuit.  Honestly, I do tire a little easier than I did when I was 25, but I try to take good care of myself, eat organically, have begun working out with weights (I need to be able to lift those patients), etc.  Although I feel like I'm still in the process of growing up, I do think I'm much wiser than I was at 25, and hope this translates into me being a better nurse than I would have been when I was younger.

I sat down last night and worked out a time management plan that I will implement once nursing school begins.  I've got a lovely block of time carved out on Saturday mornings that I intend to use solely to draw and paint or work on my unfinished novel or begin one of the many that are floating around in my  noggin.

I will be posting photos of some of my art work as amateurish as it may be.  I love to work in watercolors, but lately have been fascinated with painting with acrylic on wood.  Wooden bracelets, an odd scrap of wood...anything!

It's time I turn in and get some sleep.  Tomorrow promises to be a busy day filled with reading medical textbooks since we received numerous reading assignments during orientation that are to be completed by the first day of school.

So welcome to my humble blog home, such as it is.  I have yet to finish completing my profile, but wanted to get started.  I did write a little blurb about myself in the right hand column if you're interested.

Have a blessed night and thanks for stopping by.  Please let me know you've been here and I'll pop in and visit your blog too.

1 comment:

  1. Cathy, life is exciting when you have many passions, is it not? I believe you are never too old to go back to school, never too old to learn. I love the idea of painting on wood and for some reason, I seem to remember reading of more than one of the Old Masters have painted on wood as well. Wooden painted jewelry sounds so cool too. I have a piece that I purchased from one artist a few years back and I cherish it.

    I look forward to following your blog and seeing the world through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete